ROBERT STILLING, Associate Professor, (Ph.D. University of Virginia, B.A. Yale). My work focuses on twentieth and twenty-first century British, Irish, and postcolonial literature, with particular interests in transnational modernism, decadence studies, postcolonial studies, poetry, and visual art. My recent book, Beginning at the End: Decadence, Modernism, and Postcolonial Poetry, was published by Harvard University Press and has been shortlisted for the 2018 Modernist Studies Association Prize for a First Book. Beginning at the End examines the reprisal of fin-de-siècle "decadence" in contemporary British, Irish, and postcolonial poetry and art. The book explores the reemergence of figures such as Oscar Wilde, J.-K. Huysmans, and Walter Pater in the work of contemporary poets and artists such as Derek Walcott, Derek Mahon, Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, Agha Shahid Ali, Bernardine Evaristo, and Yinka Shonibare.
My current projects examine the intersection of fin-de-siècle decadence and religious fundamentalism in fiction by Hanif Kureishi and Michel Houellebecq; deindustralization in the poetry of Ted Hughes; and the relationship between poetry and the repatriation of art, artifacts, and archives.
- Beginning at the End: Decadence, Modernism, and Postcolonial Poetry. Harvard University Press, 2018 (forthcoming).
- Featured Review: Mad Heart Be Brave: Essays on the Poetry of Agha Shahid Ali, Edited by Kazim Ali. ASAP Journal. September (2017).
- "Multicentric Modernism and Postcolonial Poetry." The Cambridge Companion to Postcolonial Poetry. Ed. Jahan Ramazani. Cambridge University Press, 2017: 127-138.
- Review: Literature and the Politics of Post-Victorian Decadence by Kristen Mahoney. Nineteenth Century Literature 71.1 (2016): 136-140.
- "Warramou's Curse: Epic, Decadence, and the Colonial West Indies." Victorian Literature and Culture. 43.3 (2015): 445-463.
- "An Image of Europe: Yinka Shonibare's Postcolonial Decadence." PMLA. 128:2 (2013): 299-321.
- "Consonance" (revised encyclopedia entry). The Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics, 4th ed. Ed. Roland Greene, et. al. Princeton University Press, 2012.
- What Should I Read Next? (edited collection of essays). Edited with Jessica Feldman. University of Virginia Press, 2008.
- "Between Friends: Rediscovering the War Thoughts of Robert Frost." Virginia Quarterly Review, Fall (2006): 113-119.
ENG 4815: What is a Text?
LIT 5235: Modernism and Postcolonial Poetry
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Shortlisted for the 2018 Modernist Studies Association Prize for a First Book for Beginning at the End: Decadence, Modernism, and Postcolonial Poetry (Harvard UP, 2018)
- Special Collections Research Fellowship, Burke Library, Hamilton College, 2015
- Scholarship, 2013 Irish Seminar, University of Notre Dame, 2013
- First Year Assistant Professor Award, Florida State University, 2013
- Bradley Fellow, Department of English, University of Virginia, 2011-12
- Award for Excellence in Scholarship in the Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Virginia, 2011
- Thomas J. Griffis Prize for best essay by a graduate student, Department of English, University of Virginia, 2011
- Society of Fellows, University of Virginia, 2006-2007 and 2008-2009
- President's Fellow, University of Virginia, 2004-2009