BRUCE BOEHRER, Bertram H. Davis Professor of English, 2009-2011, B.A., University of Texas at El Paso, 1980, M.A., Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania, 1982, 1986
Research Interests: early modern animal studies; the history of sexuality; food studies; Milton; Shakespeare, Jonson, and the early modern drama; sixteenth- and seventeenth-century neo-Latin verse
- Animal Characters: Nonhuman Beings in Early Modern Literature, University of Pennsylvania Press, 2010.
- Parrot Culture: Our 2500-Year-Long Fascination with the World's Most Talkative Bird, Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania Press, 2004 http://www.upenn.edu/pennpress/book/14010.html.
- Shakespeare Among the Animals: Nature and Society in the Drama of Early Modern England, New York, Palgrave/St. Martins Press, 2002.
- The Fury of Men's Gullets: Ben Jonson and the Digestive Canal, Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania Press, 1997.
- Monarchy and Incest in Renaissance England: Literature, Culture, Kinship, and Kingship, Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania Press, 1992.
- Editor, A Cultural History of Animals in the Renaissance (1400-1600), Vol. 3 of A Cultural History of Animals, gen. eds. Linda Kalof and Brigitte Resl (New York: Palgrave, forthcoming)
- Founding Editor, Journal for Early Modern Cultural Studies
- "Shakespeare and the Social Devaluation of the Horse," in The Culture of the Horse: Status, Discipline, and Identity in the Early Modern World, ed. Karen Raber and Treva Tucker (New York: Palgrave, 2005), pp. 91-112.
- "The Privy and Its Double: Scatology and Satire in Shakespeare's Theater," in The Blackwell Companion to Shakespeare: The Poems, Problem Comedies, and Late Plays, ed. Jean Howard and Richard Dutton, Oxford, Blackwell Press, 2003.
- "Animal Love in Milton: The Case of the Epitaphium Damonis," ELH 70.3 (Fall, 2003) pp. 787-811.
- "The Classical Context of Ben Jonson's 'Other Youth'," Studies in English Literature 43.2, Spring, 2003, pp. 439-458.
- "Horatian Satire in Jonson's 'On the Famous Voyage'," Criticism 44.1, Winter, 2002, pp. 9-26.
- "Lycidas: The Pastoral Elegy as Same-Sex Epithalamium," PMLA 117.2, March, 2002, pp. 221-236.
- "The Rejection of Pastoral in Milton's Elegia Prima," Modern Philology 99.2, November, 2001, pp. 181-200.
AWARDS, HONORS, SERVICE
- University Teaching Award, 1992
- University Developing Scholar Award, 1994
- University Teaching Incentive Program Award, 1994
- Short-term fellowships from the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Folger Shakespeare Library
- Visiting Professorships at Beaver College and the University of Alabama