VIRGIL SUAREZ, Professor, MFA, Louisiana State University (1987), specializes in creative writing (fiction and poetry) and Latino/a (especially Cuban-American) literature. Poet, essayist, novelist, and short story writer, Professor Suarez is the author or co-author of over fifteen books of poetry and prose. His work has appeared in The Kenyon Review, The Southern Review, The New England Review, Poetry London, Poetry Wales, Poetry New Zealand, Imago (Australia), The Toronto Review (Canada), The Barcelona Review (Spain), Ploughshares, and many others nationally and internationally. His latest book is 90 Miles (Selected & New Poems), University of Pittsburgh Press, 2005. His work was featured in the W.W. Norton Anthology of Latino/a Literature, 2010.
- The Painted Bunting's Last Molt: Poems (University of Pittsburg Press, 2020)
- The Soviet Circus Comes to Havana & Other Stories, C & R Press, 2014.
- 90 Miles (Selected & New Poems), University of Pittsburgh Press, 2005.
- Landscapes & Dreams (poems), Lousiana Literature Press, 2003.
- Vespers: Spirituality in America (anthology), University of Iowa Press, 2003.
- Guide to the Blue Tongue (poems), University of Illinois, 2002.
- Banyan (poems), Louisiana State University Press, 2001.
- Palm Crows (poems), University of Arizona Press, 2001.
- American Diaspora (anthology), University of Iowa Press, 2001.
- The Cutter (reprint, novel), Ballatine Books/Available Press, 1991 and Arte Público Press, 1999.
- In the Republic of Longing (poems), Bilingual Review Press/Arizona State Unversity, 2000.
- You Come Singing (poems), Tia Chucha Press/Northwestern University Press, 1998.
- Garabato Poems (poems), Wings Press, 1998.
- Spared Angola (poems, essays, stories), Arte Publico Press, 1997.
- Going Under (novel), Arte Público Press, 1996.
- Havana Thursdays (novel), Arte Público Press, 1995.
- Iguana Dreams (anthology), Harper Collins, 1993.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Best American Poetry, 2004.
- G. MacCarthur Poetry Prize, 2002.
- The Daily News/The Caribbean Writer/Univeristy of The Virgin Islands Poetry Prize, 2002.
- National Endowment of the Arts Fellowship, 2001.
- The Book Expo America/Latino Literature Hall of Fame Poetry Prize for Best Book of Poetry (for Banyan), 2001.
- Winner of a Florida State Individual Artist Grant, 1998.
- Winner of New York Public Library's Best Book for the Teenager, 1993.
- Nominated to five Pushcart Prizes.