Robert Olen Butler
ROBERT OLEN BUTLER, Professor, MA, University of Iowa (1969) specializes in fiction and screenwriting. He is the author of sixteen novels and four collections of short stories. In addition to a Pulitzer Prize in 1993 and two National Magazine Awards, he has received a Guggenheim Fellowship in fiction and an NEA grant, as well as the Richard and Hinda Rosenthal Award from the American Academy of Arts and Letters. In 2013 he won the career-spanning F. Scott Fitzgerald Award for Outstanding Achievement in American Literature. He has also been a finalist for the PEN/Faulkner Award and the Dayton Literary Peace Prize. His stories have appeared in The New Yorker, Esquire, The Paris Review, The Sewanee Review, Best American Short Stories, New Stories from the South, and many other journals. Butler has published a volume of his lectures on the creative process, From Where You Dream, edited, with an introduction by Janet Burroway. The archive of his personal and professional papers resides at the Baenecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library of Yale University. He holds a distinguished Frances Eppes Professorship at Florida State University.
- Perfume River, Grove Press, 2017.
- The Empire of Night, Mysterious Press, 2015.
- The Star of Istanbul, Mysterious Press, 2013.
- The Hot Country, Mysterious Press, 2012.
- A Small Hotel, Grove Press, 2011.
- Weegee Stories, Narrative Editions, 2010
- Hell (novel), Grove Press, 2010.
- Severance,, Chronicle Books, 2006.
- From Where You Dream, Grove Press, 2005.
- Had a Good Time: Stories from American Postcards (stories), Grove/Atlantic, 2004.
- Fair Warning (novel), Grove/Atlantic, New York, NY 2002.
- Mr. Spaceman (novel), Grove/Atlantic, New York, NY, 2000. Excerpted in The Grove Press Reader, 1951-2001, Grove Press, 2001.
- The Deep Green Sea (novel), Henry Holt & Co., 1998.
- Tabloid Dreams (stories), Henry Holt & Co., 1996.
- They Whisper (novel), Henry Holt & Co., 1994.
- A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain (stories), Henry Holt & Co., 1992.
- The Deuce (novel), Simon & Schuster, 1989.
- Wabash (novel), Alfred A. Knopf, 1987.
- On Distant Ground (novel), Alfred A. Knopf, 1985.
- Countrymen of Bones (novel), Horizon Press, 1983.
- Sun Dogs (novel), Horizon Press, 1982.
- The Alleys of Eden (novel), Horizon Press, 1981.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- F. Scott Fitzgerald Award for Outstanding Achievement in American Literature, 2013
- National Magazine Award for Fiction, 2005
- Paul Bowles Award for Fiction from Five Points, 2004
- Virginia Faulkner Award for Excellence in Writing from The Prairie Schooner, 2004
- National Magazine Award for Fiction, 2001.
- The Lotos Club Award of Merit (previously given to Mark Twain, Fiorello Laguardia, et al.), 1996.
- National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship, 1994.
- Pulitzer Prize for Fiction for A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain, 1993.
- John Simon Guggenheim Foundation Fellowship, 1993.
- The Richard and Hinda Rosenthal Foundation Award from the American Academy of Arts and Letters, 1993.
- Finalist nominee for the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction for A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain, 1993.
- McNeese State University Distinguished Teacher Award, 1993.