ERIC WALKER, Chair of the English Department and Professor of English, has been a member of the English department since 1984. From 2009-11, he served as President of the FSU Faculty Senate and a member of the FSU Board of Trustees. He was the recipient of the university's Distinguished Teacher Award in 1996, in addition to numerous other teaching honors at FSU and elsewhere in the profession. Prof. Walker has served two terms as Associate Chair of the department, from 1988-93 and from 2006-09, and served as an Assistant Dean in the College of Arts and Sciences from 2004-06.
Dr. Walker specializes in 18th and 19th century British literature and is the author of numerous journal articles and the book Marriage, Writing, and Romanticism, published by Stanford University Press in 2009. He is a graduate of Davidson College in North Carolina and holds advanced degrees from the University of Aberdeen in Scotland (M.Litt.), where his study was funded by the St. Andrews Society of New York, and from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (M.A. and Ph.D.), where he was the recipient of the Earl Hartsell Award for Excellence in Teaching. His current work is in adoption studies, for a book on Romanticism and Adoption.
- Marriage, Writing, and Romanticism: Wordsworth and Austen After War, Spring 2009, Stanford University Press.
Winner of the 2010 SAMLA Studies Book Award, South Atlantic Modern Language Association.
Reviews available online:
Beth Lau: http://www.nbol-19.org/view_doc.php?index=15
Stefanie Markovits: http://ncgsjournal.com/issue61/markovits.htm
Neil Ramsey: http://www.usao.edu/doomsday/index.php/BSDJ/article/viewArticle/8
OTHER RECENT PUBLICATIONS
- "Adoption, Narrative, and the Nation, 1800-1850: The Case of William Austin," forthcoming in Journal of British Studies.
- "Austen and Cavell," in Stanley Cavell and British Romanticism, ed. Eric Lindstrom, forthcoming in Romantic Circles Praxis Series, ed. Orrin Wang.
- "'In the Place of a Parent': Austen and Adoption," Persuasions On-Line, Vol. 30, No. 2 (Spring 2010) (see below for online link).
- "The Long Revolution of Raymond Williams: Culture and Society Fifty Years On," The Wordsworth Circle, 2006.
- "The Muse of Indifference," PMLA, Jan. 2005. Special Topic issue "On Poetry"
- "Rewriting Romantic Revision: A New Byron Letter," Keats-Shelley Journal, 2004.
- Other essays have appeared in Studies in Philology, Studies in Romanticism, European Romantic Review, Journal of English and Germanic Philology, Studies in English Literature (SEL), Philological Quarterly, Papers of the Bibliographical Society of America, and other journals and essay collections.
WORK AVAILABLE ONLINE
- "'In the Place of a Parent': Austen and Adoption," Persuasions On-Line, Vol. 30, No. 2 (Spring 2010), http://www.jasna.org/persuasions/on-line/vol30no2/walker.html
- "The Muse of Indifference," PMLA, Vol. 120, No. 1 (January 2005), pp. 197-218. Available via institutional subscriptions to the IngentaConnect database: http://www.ingentaconnect.com
- Review of William Galperin, The Historical Austen (Pennsylvania, 2003), Romanticism on the Net, November 2004. http://www.erudit.org/revue/ron/2003/v/n32-33/009266ar.html
- Review of Duncan Wu, Wordsworth's Reading, 1800-1815 (Cambridge, 1995), Romanticism on the Net, No. 5 (February 1997). http://users.ox.ac.uk/~scat0385/wu.html
- "Biographia Literaria and Wordsworth's Revisions," Studies in English Literature 1500-1900, Vol. 28, No. 4 (1988), pp. 569-88. Available via institutional subscriptions to the JSTOR database: http://www.jstor.org
- "'Motherhood in a Safari Suit': Mapping Violence in A Gate at the Stairs and the Romantic History of Mad Mary Lamb," ASAC 2012, Claremont Colleges.
- "Dorothy's Demons in Julien Temple's Pandemonium" MLA, Los Angeles, Jan. 2011.
- "Wordsworth, the Lives of Poets, and Print Culture," NASSR,Vancouver, Aug. 2010.
- "The 'Delicate Investigation,' State Censorship, and Adoption Narrative," Alliance for the Study of Adoption and Culture, Boston (MIT), May 2010.
- "Austen and Adoption," New Directions in Austen Studies, Chawton, UK, July 2009.
- "Romanticism, Skepticism, and Adoption," NASSR 2009, Duke Univ., May 2009.
- "Romanticism and Adoption: The Case of Emma Isola," NASSR 2008, Toronto.
- "Austen, Cavell, and the Ordinary," MLA 2006, Philadelphia.
- "Raymond Williams and Romanticism," MLA 2005, Washington.
- "The Family Romance of Willy Austin," NASSR 2005, Montreal.
- "Romanticism, Adoption, and Cosmopolitanism," NASSR 2004, Boulder.
- "'In the Place of a Parent': Jane Austen and Adoption," BWWC 2004, Athens, GA.
- "Romanticism and Adoption," NASSR 2003, New York.
- Teaching Incentive Program (TIP) Award, Florida State University, 1999.
- Outstanding Teaching Award, South Atlantic Association of Departments of English (SAADE), 1998.
- University Distinguished Teaching Professor, Florida State University, 1996.
- University Teaching Award, Florida State University, 1995.
- Teaching Incentive Program (TIP) Award, Florida State University, 1995.
- University Teaching Award, Florida State University, 1988.
- The Earl Hartsell Teaching Award, Dept. of English, UNC-Chapel Hill, 1982.