ROBERT STILLING, Assistant Professor, (Ph.D. University of Virginia, B.A. Yale), specializes in twentieth and twenty-first century British, global Anglophone, and postcolonial literature and culture, with particular interests in transnational modernism, postcolonial studies, poetry, and visual art. His book, Beginning at the End: Decadence, Modernism, and Postcolonial Poetry, is forthcoming from Harvard University Press in 2018. This book examines the reprisal of fin-de-siècle "decadence" in contemporary British, Irish, and Postcolonial poetry and art. His research explores the reemergence of figures such as Oscar Wilde, J.-K. Huysmans, and Walter Pater in the work of contemporary poets and artists such as Derek Walcott, Derek Mahon, Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, Agha Shahid Ali, Bernardine Evaristo, and Yinka Shonibare.
- Beginning at the End: Decadence, Modernism, and Postcolonial Poetry. Harvard University Press, 2018 (forthcoming).
- Featured Review: Mad Heart Be Brave: Essays on the Poetry of Agha Shahid Ali, Edited by Kazim Ali. ASAP Journal. September (2017).
- "Multicentric Modernism and Postcolonial Poetry." The Cambridge Companion to Postcolonial Poetry. Ed. Jahan Ramazani. Cambridge University Press, 2017: 127-138.
- Review: Literature and the Politics of Post-Victorian Decadence by Kristen Mahoney. Nineteenth Century Literature 71.1 (2016): 136-140.
- "Warramou's Curse: Epic, Decadence, and the Colonial West Indies." Victorian Literature and Culture. 43.3 (2015): 445-463.
- "An Image of Europe: Yinka Shonibare's Postcolonial Decadence." PMLA. 128:2 (2013): 299-321.
- "Consonance" (revised encyclopedia entry). The Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics, 4th ed. Ed. Roland Greene, et. al. Princeton University Press, 2012.
- What Should I Read Next? (edited collection of essays). Edited with Jessica Feldman. University of Virginia Press, 2008.
- "Between Friends: Rediscovering the War Thoughts of Robert Frost." Virginia Quarterly Review, Fall (2006): 113-119.
- Postcolonial Form and Genre (LIT4233)
- Sound and Color: Global Anglophone Poetry and the Visual Arts (LIT 5235)
- Contemporary Irish Poetry (LIT4184)
- Modern British Novel (ENL4132)
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Special Collections Research Fellowship, Burke Library, Hamilton College, 2015
- Scholarship, 2013 Irish Seminar, University of Notre Dame, 2013
- First Year Assistant Professor Award, Florida State University, 2013
- Bradley Fellow, Department of English, University of Virginia, 2011-12
- Award for Excellence in Scholarship in the Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Virginia, 2011
- Thomas J. Griffis Prize for best essay by a graduate student, Department of English, University of Virginia, 2011
- Society of Fellows, University of Virginia, 2006-2007 and 2008-2009
- President's Fellow, University of Virginia, 2004-2009